Welcome to the Cross Categorical
Program at Riley School and River Trails Middle School
The NSSEO Program at Riley School and River Trails Middle School addresses the diverse educational needs of students through a comprehensive program in an elementary school and middle school setting that offers opportunities to learn with same-aged peers. This holistic approach integrates academic, social-emotional, communication, coping, and motor skills development for students. It is our belief that this program builds a foundation that enhances future educational success while addressing complex needs.
Janet Barry | email@example.com
|Riley Program||River Trails Program|
- Program Design ↓
The NSSEO Program located at Riley Elementary School and River Trails Middle School is a self-contained program located in Community Consolidated School District 21 and District 26 that serves students K-5 and in Middle School. It is designed to address the need of students with significant disabilities (i.e. academic learning difficulties, communication/language, sensory regulation, motoric functioning, social-emotional functioning) within the general educational setting. The program instruction is based on the general education curriculum and the assessments are designed to adjust instructional strategies that meet individual student needs.
- Who We Are ↓
Who We Are
The certified/licensed staff is comprised of highly qualified special education teachers in addition to the services of a speech/language pathologist, occupational therapist, physical therapist, school nurse, psychologist, behavior consultant, adapted PE teacher, teacher of the hearing impaired and a teacher of the visually impaired. The team uses an integrated, collaborative approach to provide related services that address the needs of the student. Staff participate in ongoing training and coaching that incorporates research-based best practices and are trained in Crisis Prevention Intervention to support the behavioral needs of students. This collaborative partnership between NSSEO and Riley / River Trails staff addresses diverse student needs and maximizes opportunities for academic and social-emotional growth for all students.
- Instructional Focus ↓
- Core academic curricula based upon state standards and adapted and modified to address individual student needs.
- Assistive and instructional technology to provide individualized access to learning, promoting greater independence.
- An assessment system that includes multiple measures that determines instructional strategies based on the students individual strengths and needs.
- Life skills instruction that addresses social, communication, daily living, and leisure/recreational skills.
- Instruction in social skills and positive behaviors across educational settings.
- An educational setting that offers a wide range of sensory and environmental supports that include sensory diets, scheduled breaks, and quiet areas.
- Intensive communication and language development instruction including the use of visual support in the environment and augmentative systems.
- Opportunities for participation in building-wide activities including assemblies, band, service projects, after school activities, and Boy and Girl Scout Troops.
- Fostering independence in school, home and community environments through modeling and coaching.
- Participation with same-age peers in academic and social settings.
- Program Supports ↓
- Circle of Friends and Peer buddies
- Consultation and coaching provided by NSSEO Autism Team
- Sensory room
- Adaptive equipment
- Experiential learning at Sunrise Lake Outdoor Education Center
- Partnership with NWSRA (Northwest Suburban Special Recreational Association), Riley School PTO, and Scouts.
- Calendar ↓
Check the NSSEO Calendar and Get Involved
- Extra Curricular Activities ↓
Extra Curricular Activities
Students are invited to participate in James W Riley School’s and River Trails Middle School’s extra-curricular activities.
- School Information ↓
School Office Hours
8:30 am – 3:30 pm
9:00 am – 3:20 pm
(The pages in this handbook should be printed out back to back.)
- Staff Directory ↓
Let us help you find someone to assist you.
© 2005 – 2017 NSSEO > Riley School. All Rights Reserved.