Welcome to Timber Ridge School
Timber Ridge incorporates creative, individualized, and positive strategies in a therapeutic setting focused on improving educational and social outcomes for students with significant emotional needs. Students with emotional and psychological needs often require additional support in order to be successful in educational and community environments. Timber Ridge is an educational community where staff, students, and parents work in partnership towards student success.
- Program Design ↓
Timber Ridge School is a public, K-8th grade, therapeutic day school that provides educational and emotional experiences to help students “mentally construct” a view of academic and social learning as positive and beneficial despite challenges that may have occurred in the past. As a result of the theoretical orientation, Timber Ridge programming emphasizes individual student outcomes. Principles in behavioral and social cognitive learning theory drive the reinforcement of individualized desired behaviors for success. The end goal is to successfully reintegrate students into their home school district.
- Who We Are ↓
Who We Are
The staffing design at Timber Ridge School is extensive and diverse. A collaborative approach includes support from special education teachers, school psychologists, social worker, speech and language pathologist, occupational therapist, PE teacher, computer/art teacher, and school nurse. Planning and professional development related to curricula interventions, assessment, best practice, behavior management and implementation of the common core occur in frequent grade level and program discussions. All therapists meet weekly to discuss ways to support individual students and classrooms. Each classroom team discusses academic and behavioral progress weekly to review and adjust interventions as needed. Crisis team staff and administration may also provide additional support. All certified staff and classroom aides have been trained in Crisis Prevention Intervention (CPI); a nationally recognized and approved manner for intervening in situations which demonstrate possible risk of aggression. In addition, two staff members are certified trainers of the CPI procedure and provide training for school staff. The combined approach of expertise and experience of staff working in collaboration with parents, school districts, and external experts is key to program success. All staff at Timber Ridge are committed to this core belief.
- Instructional Focus ↓
- Evidenced-based curricula instruction for reading and mathematics are main components of the Timber Ridge educational experience.
- All classes are taught by teachers certified in the core content areas.
- The instructional experience is focused on individualized student growth in the academic arena.
- Small group instruction for academic skills in the areas of reading, writing, and mathematics is based on current levels of functioning.
- Progress monitoring of reading, mathematics, and writing occurs on at least a quarterly basis.
- Instructional and assistive technology provide further opportunities for individualized instruction. Timber Ridge School has been a leader in the use of Ipads, IXL, Read Live, and Lexia for students based on individualized needs.
- Social Emotional Learning is an equally important focus as other academic content areas. Group, individual, and milieu interventions focus on individual goals for effective coping, social, and self-regulation skills necessary when dealing with others.
- Bi-weekly group therapy sessions.
- Support from the crisis team.
- Sensory supports and experiences that promote self-regulation.
- Program Supports ↓
- Motor supports include occupational therapy and physical therapy through consultation or direct service as recommended through the IEP.
- Weekly communication groups geared towards appropriate expression of oneself and understanding others.
- Individualized services for expression and pragmatic language provided as recommended through the IEP.
- A collaborative transition planning process with high school representatives which includes career counseling that includes career exploration and college readiness preparation.
- Opportunities to apply for the Timber Ridge College Scholarship.
- An experiential educational approach including which include organic gardening, canine therapy, and educational experiences at Sunrise Lake Outdoor Education Center.
- Extracurricular activities which include: Running Club, Art Club, Fitness Club, and Family Sports Fridays.
- Partnerships with Mt. Prospect and Arlington Heights Garden Clubs, Hands on Suburban Chicago (Retired and Senior Volunteer Centers), Loyola University Chicago-School Psychology Program, Chicago School of Professional Psychology, University of Illinois-Dr. Espelage Research Team, E-Spark (iPad app individualized plans for students), Illinois State University-School of Education, Arlington Heights Police Department, Rainbow Animal Assisted Therapy, Orphans of the Storm, and Wheeling Food Pantry.
- Calendar ↓
Check the NSSEO Calendar and Get Involved
- Extra Curricular Activities ↓
Extra Curricular Activities
Club Talent Show
Partnership with Prospect
- School Information ↓
School Office Hours
8:00 am – 4:00 pm
9:00 am – 3:00 pm
(The pages in this handbook should be printed out back to back.)
Designate your Target Red Card to Timber Ridge
- Staff Directory ↓
Let us help you find someone to assist you.
- Timber Ridge Parent Network ↓
Timber Ridge Parent Network
Click the link below to contact a representative of the Timber Ridge Parent Group.
- Timber Ridge Scholarship Application↓
© 2005 – 2016 NSSEO > Timber Ridge School. All Rights Reserved.