Welcome to Miner School
We at Miner School believe strongly that all of our students will be contributing members of society. Our commitment to providing work-based learning experiences, student-centered individualized education (IEP) plans, family involvement in and support of education and career development activities, and linkages to individually determined support services will lead to the education and employment success of our students.
Cathi Ivack | email@example.com
Kathleen McCord | firstname.lastname@example.org
Maggie Benes | email@example.com
- Program Design ↓
The therapeutic day school program at Miner School provides a comprehensive educational program for students with a wide range of special needs including autism spectrum disorders, behavioral disorders, cognitive disabilities, physical/health impairments, and multiple disabilities. The program is designed to meet the needs of students ages 5 through 22 years. Intensive supports are provided in a team-based instructional model that addresses the needs of the whole child within a caring and responsive therapeutic environment. The program functions as a small supportive school community that provides opportunities for participation in school routines similar to those in larger settings while incorporating fewer transitions and less environmental noise overall. Transition, vocational, and life skills instruction and services support students as they move from school to community living and work alternatives.
- Who We Are ↓
Who We Are
The certified/licensed staff is comprised of highly qualified special education teachers, speech/language pathologists, school psychologists, school nurses, social workers, physical/occupational therapists, vision specialists, autism coaches, as well as transition and vocational specialists. Staff are all trained in research-based instructional and therapeutic approaches utilizing a collaborative, problem-solving approach. The Miner staff is trained in Crisis Prevention Intervention (CPI) with three staff members as certified trainers. Highly qualified paraprofessionals are an integral part of the program and work closely with the certified/licensed staff in providing assistance to students that supports programmatic and individual needs. Team members’ knowledge and connections with students as individuals creates a positive and effective learning environment.
- Instructional Focus ↓
- Core academic curricula based on state standards appropriately adapted/modified as reflected in the student’s individualized education plan (IEP) leading to fulfillment of graduation requirements
- Emphasis on integrating social/emotional standards into daily instruction
- Intensive communication and language development instruction including the use of visual supports in the environment and augmentative communication systems
- Assistive and instructional technology to provide individualized access to learning, promoting greater independence
- Visual supports, social stories, scheduling and sensory integration to meet the individualized needs of students
- Life skills instruction in a variety of environments that focuses on daily living, social skills, vocational, and leisure/recreation skill development to prepare students for adulthood
- An assessment system that includes multiple measures that determines instructional strategies based on the student’s individual strengths and needs
- Opportunities to participate with same-age peers
- Development and implementation of individualized transition plans with a focus on post-secondary goals and opportunities
- Varied school, work, and community-based learning experiences
- Fostering independence in home, school, and community environments through modeling and coaching
- Positive Behavioral Supports (PBIS) to develop appropriate social and behavioral skills, as well as providing intensive behavioral supports and individual student and school-wide crisis management
- Adapted physical education that provides instruction in the development of motor skills and health/fitness that promotes participation in sports and leisure activities
- Program Supports ↓
- Therapists/Psychologists/Social Workers provide individual/small group counseling to support social skills, coping skills, and self regulation
- Behavior support team functions as a unit to support students throughout the school day
- Coaching/consultation for staff provided by Autism support team and consultants
- Health services and staff training to manage individual student health care plans
- A breakfast/lunch program specific to individual dietary and oral/motor needs
- Multisensory/motor rooms with individualized sensory diets to address specific student needs
- Specialized vocational training areas
- Adaptive equipment individualized for student positioning and ambulation
- Interscholastic athletic program: competitive team sports in basketball, volleyball, soccer, softball, and Special Olympics
- Extracurricular activities: prom, cheerleading, dances
- Social integration activities through partnerships with same-age peers
- Participation at Sunrise Lake Outdoor Education Center
- Parent Teacher Organization
- Calendar ↓
Check the NSSEO Calendar and Get Involved
- Extra Curricular Activities ↓
Extra Curricular Activities
Special Olympic Team
- Helpful Web Sites ↓
Providing you with Web links that may be helpful for you and your student
The world’s largest interactive digital library with over 4,000 books geared for pre-K through 12th grade. 24/7 unlimited, anytime, anywhere access, available on desktops, laptops, tablets, and mobile devices.
Starfall.com opened in September of 2002 as a free public service to teach children to read with phonics. Our systematic phonics approach, in conjunction with phonemic awareness practice, is perfect for preschool, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, special education, homeschool, and English language development (ELD, ELL, ESL). Starfall is an educational alternative to other entertainment choices for children.
Cause and Effect Switch Games. Priory Woods School and Arts College is an all age community special school situated in east Middlesbrough. Our school provides a quality, inclusive education for pupils with severe learning difficulties and those with profound and multiple needs.
Online Cause and Effect Games. HelpKidzLearn is a collection of software for young children and those with learning difficulties to play online. The software is split into five sections: Early Years, Games and Quizzes, Stories and Songs, Creative Play & Find Out About. You will get the most out of these activities if you play them together with your child. Use them as a focus for chatting. Speaking and listening is very important for young children’s educational development, particularly reading and writing.
Mrs.Perkins’ Dolch Words is a website dedicated to providing teachers and parents with everything they need to teach Dolch sight words to their children.
Fact Monster™, is a tween destination for homework help and facts on thousands of subjects, including sports, entertainment, geography, history, biography, education, and health. Highly ranked in search engines, Fact Monster contains an encyclopedia, almanacs, games, quizzes, research tools, holiday features, lots of self-made microsites for books, and more.
KidsClick! was originaly created by a group of librarians at the Ramapo Catskill Library System, as a logical step in addressing concerns about the role of public libraries in guiding their young users to valuable and age appropriate web sites. RCLS’s first effort to address this need was to compile a single page of search input boxes from the handful of existing databases of selected or screened sites.
An Innovating Image Search. Search the web for images. An image search service with more than 3,000,000,000 pictures.
Pics4Learning is a safe, free image library for education. Teachers and students can use the copyright-friendly photos and images for classrooms, multimedia projects, web sites, videos, portfolios, or any other project in an educational setting.
Tar Heel Reader is a collection of free, easy-to-read, and accessible books on a wide range of topics. The books may be downloaded as slide shows in PowerPoint, Impress, or Flash format. Each book can be speech enabled and accessed using multiple interfaces, including touch screens, the IntelliKeys with custom overlays, and 1 to 3 switches.
Slater Software, Inc. officially closed the doors on June 30, 2012. After 18 great years of helping students read and write with Picture It and PixWriter™, Jim and Jean Slater have decided to retire. Everyone at Slater Software has been proud to be a part of the Assistive Technology industry. We extend our sincere appreciation to our customers, colleagues and friends.
Mayer-Johnson is built on the belief that all individuals, including those with unique learning challenges presented by speech, language, physical and/or learning disabilities arising from Autism, Down syndrome, intellectual disability, etc., should have an opportunity to learn in ways that support their individual needs.
Classroom Suite Activity Exchange offers educators, therapists, and others access to hundreds of pre-made activities for immediate use with IntelliTools Classroom Suite. Use this time-saving resource to find and share activities specifically made for Classroom Suite, many including accompanying overlays for IntelliKeys and other AAC devices.
Enchanted Learning, LLC produces K-12 educational material that is published online. We have 30,000 pages on our website covering a wide range of topics. We produce new pages almost every day.
Every week, students will connect with the world by reading about current events and doing pertinent activities. Games, puzzles, recipes, jokes, and more review material are included in the newspaper to keep students engaged in their studies all week.
BrainPOP® creates animated, curricular content that engages students, supports educators, and bolsters achievement. Our award-winning online educational resources include BrainPOP Jr.®(K-3), BrainPOP, BrainPOP Español™ , and, for English language learners, BrainPOP ESL™. BrainPOP is also home to GameUp™, a free educational games portal for the classroom.
Discovery Education partners with districts to deliver a customized suite of tools to accelerate student achievement. Find out more about our digital content, professional development, assessment services, digital textbooks, and dynamic educator community today.
Providing Digital Text to Persons with Disabilities
Bookshare’s® goal is to make the world of print accessible to people with disabilities. With a dynamic leadership team, dedicated Members and capable partners, Bookshare is making this goal a reality.
- Parent Groups ↓
Miner Parent Teacher Organization
- School Information ↓
School Office Hours
7:30 am – 3:30 pm
8:05 am – 2:05 pm
- Staff Directory ↓
Let us help you find someone to assist you.
- What's Happening ↓
All checks for the NSSEO Special Recipes Cookbook should be made payable to NSSEO.
World Champion Trinity Irish Dancers
Visit Miner School On St. Patrick’s Day.
Pawsome Laundry Detergent Company
The Miner Connection Center students are manufacturing Pawsome Laundry Detergent.
Start to Finish CORE Curriculum
© 2005 – 2013 NSSEO > Miner School. All Rights Reserved.