What is Assistive Technology?
Assistive Technology device means any item, piece of equipment, or product system, whether acquired commercially off the shelf, modified, or customized, that is used to increase, maintain, or improve the functional capabilities of a child with a disability. (IDEA, 2004)
Assistive Technology service is any service that directly assists a child with a disability in the selection, acquisition, or use of an assistive technology device. Such term includes -
- the evaluation.
- purchasing, leasing, or otherwise providing for the acquisition of assistive technology devices.
- selecting, designing, fitting, customizing, adapting, applying, maintaining, repairing, or replacing.
- coordinating and using other therapies, interventions, or services with assistive technology devices.
- training or technical assistance for such child, or the family of such child.
- training or technical assistance for professionals. (IDEA, 2004)